History of Borden

The Parish Church is dedicated to Ss. Peter and Paul, and is of flint in the Norman and Early English periods. There is a fine Norman tower with a door, which is a splendid type of the architecture of the period. In the tower is a clock and a peal of eight bells of excellent quality and perfect tone. There are several stained glass windows and stone screens. ‘There is a monument in the Church to Robert Plot, LLD, an historian of some Midland counties, who died in 1696. 

The registers date from the year 1555.

The principal charity is the income of certain landed property left by William Barrow in 1707 to “the widows and poor men of Borden.” At the time, this amounted to about £450 per annum, which was to be divided annually amongst thirty or forty of the poor inhabitants. He also left other landed property for the same purpose, which came to the charity by reversion. The Court of Chancery in 1863 reduced the number of alms-persons to thirty, each of whom was to receive £16 yearly. Subsequently the Charity Commissioners established out of the funds, which had ac¬cumulated to the amount of £12,000, the Borden Grammar School.

Key Street is on the northern side of the parish and on the London Road, and Chestnut Street is on the western side and on the main road to Stockbury and Maidstone. Oad Street is about a mile south-west from Borden Street.